The Fresno Food Commons Trust (FFCT) and its subsidiary Food Commons Fresno Community Corporation (FCFCC) are working to build a fair, sustainable and thriving community-owned food system in Fresno and the San Joaquin Valley.
We are seeking to increase direct community participation in the development, promotion, and governance of Food Commons Fresno, to ensure that our business and nonprofit activities are responsive to community needs and are integrated with interconnected social, economic and environmental initiatives in the community. We are also expanding our efforts to educate consumers about and provide them with access to locally sourced organic food.
The Community Outreach Coordinator will recruit and train Fresno residents to represent the community through our organization’s governing and advisory boards, and to help integrate our work with that of other organizations working on interconnected issues of health and nutrition, economic development, housing, education and job training, social and environmental justice, land use, regenerative agriculture and conservation. The Coordinator will work with the FFCT/FCFCC team to engage community members in the development of a community food hub in southwest Fresno through participation in the design and planning process and through direct investment in our Direct Public Offering. The Coordinator will also support FCF efforts to educate and inspire residents and community leaders about the benefits of locally sourced organic food and local food system development.
- Work with FFCT/FCFCC board and staff to develop a target list of community organizations and individuals and a timeline and work plan for outreach and cohort recruitment and training as FCF ambassadors and governing and advisory board members.
- Engage with relevant community organizations to introduce them to Food Commons Fresno, identify common interests and opportunities for collaboration, and identify potential community allies and cohort members.
- Plan, organize and present at FCFCC, community and organizational events and organize and conduct individual and group meetings to introduce community members to Food Commons Fresno and recruit their participation in the program.
- Support FFCT and FCFCC board, staff and consultant community outreach and engagement efforts to promote the FCFCC’s Direct Public Offering to raise community capital for business expansion and development of a West Fresno Community Food Hub.
- Work with FCFCC Business Development manager to develop and implement a community engagement plan in West Fresno to engage community members in the design and planning of the West Fresno Community Food Hub.
- Hire and manage outside consultants/facilitators to support development and delivery of community outreach events and trainings that will include leadership skill building and understanding of systemic change.
- Create and maintain a database of outreach targets and contacts to track activities, outcomes and next steps. Work with DPO and marketing teams to integrate database into existing FCFCC CRM database.
- Meet monthly with Trust board president to review work plan and progress. Support development of funder progress reports, invoices and financial reports.
- Meet at least monthly with FCFCC senior managers and DPO marketing team to coordinate and seek opportunities to leverage outreach, marketing and DPO campaign efforts.
- Highly accountable and high level of self-initiation.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Engaging and well-organized presenter/speaker.
- Passionate about local food system development in the Fresno region and committed to Food Commons values.
- Ability to work in a complex and dynamic environment with balance and a healthy sense of humor.
- Experience leading and facilitating meetings with diverse groups and individuals.
- Ability to work independently and in teams, utilizing web-based team collaboration and task management tools.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to travel to meetings around the region.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent substantial experience
- At least two years of work experience in a project management and/or leadership role.
Strong preference will be given to applicants with the following additional qualifications:
- Strong working relationships with San Joaquin Valley community and business organizations and leaders.
- Understanding of sustainable agriculture, agroecology, environmental and social justice, food access, and related issues.
- Previous administrative or operating experience in nonprofit organizations.
- Experience working with residents and community leaders in low-income and underserved urban and rural neighborhoods.
- Familiarity with Food Commons (www.thefoodcommons.org), cooperatives, and other social enterprise business models.
- Skill with spreadsheets and CRM databases.
- Experience with social media and digital communication tools.
- Experience with print and digital media design and layout.
This is a full-time position and is open immediately. Compensation is $20-28/hour depending on qualifications. To apply submit a resume and cover letter explaining your interest in working with Food Commons Fresno and your relevant skills and experience to email@example.com.